Thursday, August 2, 2012

My Pregnancy


From the time I became pregnant with Ian my body felt him and not in a good way at all.  My first trimester I couldn't eat anything but macaroni and cheese, fruit and fluids only.  Though I wasn't throwing up a lot, I was very nauseous and my appetite was none existent.  Not only that, but it hurt to walk. I was told not to worry about it, it was just round ligament pains.

By the time I got to my second trimester, I was able to eat a few more things and my pains had gotten worse.  It hurt to walk, turn, and just move in general and I was still being told not to worry about the round ligament pains.  Through my doctor's appointments, even though I was hardly eating I learned that I had gained 50 pounds before reaching third trimester.  I lost feeling in my big toe on my left foot.  I also learned I had severe pre-eclampsia.  Every week I would be hospitalized overnight for observation and by the time I got to my 29th week of pregnancy I was hospitalized for the long haul which ended up only being 2 weeks.

On the first day of my 30th week of pregnancy, they delivered Ian via c-section.  He was a little less than 3&1/2 lbs.  He was on every kind of machine and was not allowed to be touched for the first couple of days.  I wasn't able to go see during that time anyway because my blood pressure was still spiking high and I was heavily drugged and not allowed to leave the bed.

When I was finally moved from the WICU to another extended stay room, I was able to go see him for the first time.  He was so tiny and cute.  All the nurses were eating out of his palms already, and he had just been born.

He fought hard to live throughout my pregnancy and when he was finally born, he fought hard to thrive.  He's still thriving and even though we had a few setbacks in the NICU since he was born, he is on the right track to be a fully healthy little man.  I pump breast milk like no body's business because his stomach doesn't tolerate formula, not even human fortified formula, so he gets the best thing in the world for him.  My milk, his liquid gold.




No comments:

Post a Comment